CT-CLIC.com: Connecticut Licensing Info Center
Home  |  Sitemap  |  Login  
Business Registration Checklist
Glossary of Business Structures
Resource Links
Publications & Articles
Business Insurance
Connecticut's Business Response Center

Limited partnership (LP) with employees - registration outline

< go back
Please review the following outline.  Should you require further assistance, a Smart Start business registration specialist is available by calling 1-800-392-2122 or online inquiry form.

Smart Start strongly recommends that you seek the assistance of a business attorney and tax accountant to form a legal entity such as a LP.

Partnerships should create a partnership agreement.  Consult with a business attorney.

Your requirements for registering a limited partnership with employees are as follows. 
Please follow steps 1-5 in the order presented:
1.  Check business name availability
2.  Local considerations - planning and zoning, tradename certificate with town clerk, fire and health
3a.  File documentation for a limited partnership with the Connecticut Secretary of the State
3b.  Register with the U.S. Internal Revenue Services for a federal employer (FEIN) tax id number - SS-4
3c.  Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for a state tax id number - REG-1 (online, mail)
3d.  Register with the Connecticut Department of Labor as an employer and the state unemployment insurance tax - UC-1A
4.  Obtain appropriate trade or occupational license
5a.  Obtain worker's compensation insurance
5b.  Verify employment status with Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services


Business Name Availability
Check to make sure that the business name you chose is available to use.

2.  Local Considerations
Contact the local planning and zoning office for zoning regulations for your location.  Some businesses need to also contact the local health and fire official.

Register a trade name certificate (often referred to as a DBA or fictitious name) with the town clerk in the town in which the business is based.  Some towns provide forms online.  Although limited liability companies and limited liability partnerships are not required to file a tradename certificate, it is recommended. 

3a.  Register with Connecticut Secretary of the State  (This step must be handled first)
The agency does not provide documentation for forming a limited partnership.  Rather, the agency refers customers to the Uniform Limited Partnership Act Chapter 610 draft the appropriate documentation.  Online filing is currently not available.  However, the forms can be expedited or faxed (review guidelines and cover sheet) and credit card payments are accepted.

Contact the agency:  (860) 509-6002 or crd@ct.gov.  Agency web site: www.sots.ct.gov

3b.  Register with the U.S. Internal Revenue Services
File form SS-4 to obtain a Federal (Employer) Tax Id Number (FEIN).  Online filing is available or obtain immediately by calling 1-800-829-4933.  Agency web site: www.irs.gov

Note: Federal labor posters

3c.  Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services
File form REG-1 (online, mail) for the state sales and use tax, business entity tax, and income tax withholding.  Also, be familiar with the reseller's certificate.  Please contact the agency directly or visit the agency web site to research whether your product or service is subject to sales tax.  Review: Business Entity Tax - IP 2008(26), Getting Started In Business - IP 2006(11), Employer's Tax Guide - IP 2009(1).  Online filing is available.

Contact the agency: (860) 297-5962, 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut only) or drs@po.state.ct.us .  Agency web site: www.ct.gov/drs
3d.  Register with the Connecticut Department of Labor
File form UC-1A for the state unemployment insurance tax.  Review: Employer's Guide to Unemployment Compensation and labor posters.  Fax and online filing available.

Contact the agency: 860-263-6550 (Employer Status), 860-263-6567 (Fax) or dol.webhelp@ct.gov  Agency website:  www.ctdol.state.ct.us

4.  License/Permit
Some businesses require an occupational or trade license.  Search the licensing data base on www.CT-CLIC.com  or inquire with a Smart Start business registration specialist by calling 1-800-392-2122 or online inquiry form.

5a.  Obtain Workers' Compensation Insurance
Secure workers' compensation insurance through a private insurance company.  LPs are required to obtain workers' compensation insurance even though they do not hire employees.  However, such organizations can exclude themselves from coverage by filing form 6B. For further information contact Connecticut's Workers' Compensation Commission at 1-800-223-9675 or wcc.chairmansoffice@po.state.ct.us.  Agency web site: wcc.state.ct.us

5b.  Employment Eligibility Verification
Become familiar with the regulations for form I-9 from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Agency.  Contact the agency: 1-800-357-2099.  Agency web site:  http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm


Business Insurance
It is strongly recommended that businesses contact their insurance agent to inquire about proper insurance coverage including workers' compensation insurance.

Business Resources
Connecticut SBA - Small Business Resource Guide
-  Connecticut Licensing Info Center/Smart Start - 1-800-392-2122
-  Connecticut's Business Response Center - 1-800-392-2122
-  ProgramFinder
-  You Belong In Connecticut
-  SiteFindertm

Business Counseling
SCORE - Counselors to America's Small Business at .
The Connecticut Small Business Development Center (SBDC)

Smart Start is the business assistance service of the Connecticut Licensing Info Center (www.CT-CLIC.com).  Our service provides new, expanding and relocating businesses with information to guide you through the licensing and registration process in order to conduct business in Connecticut.  We are not a processing or counseling agency and we are prohibited from offering legal advice
and accounting services. 

Please keep in mind that Smart Start is not a processing or business counseling agency, however, we are available to assist you in answering general questions and filling out agency application forms.

Survey - We'd like your feedback.
Your feedback is very important to us.  Please take a few moments to fill out the following survey (www.ct-clic.com/survey)  

print Print This Page top Top of Page